Wednesday, December 20, 2017

On the Road Again

People talk about miracles happening once we get into recovery. We hear it so often at meetings that it almost becomes cliché.

Yet, this week I witnessed yet another miracle in an addict's life. While I've written about this man's previous attempts to obtain his driver's license, yesterday he was finally granted a temporary license and is now driving one of our company vehicles.

The amazing thing is that this man had not driven legally in 21 years. In fact, in the area of the Midwest where he came from, he 'd received 33 citations for driving without a license. By the time he got to us he'd dug himself into a deep financial hole, so deep that he despaired of ever being able to save up the thousands of dollars he'd need to pay the mountain of fines and penalties he'd accumulated for driving illegally.

When he came to my office yesterday he was telling me what a strange feeling it was to be able to go somewhere without asking his wife or someone else to drive him. He's truly grateful. And he told me that now that he's put this behind him, his next goal is to have his civil rights restored. He says he's going to use the same focus and drive to get them restored as he did to get his license back.

This man's story is an example of how we can change our lives once we make a decision to do so.

Over the past 26 years that I've been at TLC I've seen all kinds of changes in people's lives. I've seen them reunite with their families. I've witnessed them graduating from college. I've seen them start businesses. I've seen them quit smoking, lose weight, and regain their health. I've seen them set goals and achieve them.

And it's always the same thing that helps them build success: hard work - and living in recovery.

Click here to email John