Thursday, July 19, 2018

Fruits of Recovery

Today my oldest daughter flies in from California to visit.  With her is my 15-year-old granddaughter, who's planning to attend college here when she finishes high school.

We spend a pleasant evening, eating, visiting with family members, swimming and planning how we'll spend the next few days before she returns to California Sunday afternoon.

Their visit is a pleasant break from the pressures of business, dealing with new and old lawsuits, and the day-to-day running of an 850-bed recovery program. 

After they returned to their hotel I reflected that had I not gotten sober I would never have experienced a relationship with my family. Or enjoyed the many blessings I have in my life today.

And that's the reason I bring this up in today's blog.  One thing that concerns many of those new in recovery is whether they'll ever be able to rebuild their relationship with their families.

And the answer is yes. At first, our family might be suspicious and lack confidence in our recovery. 

But after a year or two, their mistrust dissolves. They see something different in us and our relationships begin to get tighter.  I've rarely seen a family not embrace a loved one - once they become confident with their recovery.

It happened for me.

Click here to email John