Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Let's Worry

Clients at TLC always seem to be "worried" about something.

"Will I be able to find a job?"

"Treatment is boring."

"My family hates me."

And the list goes on and on. There are a lot of things to worry about. Whether we are in treatment, or whether we're just the average citizen trying to make it through life.

But I heard a solution one time and I believe that it really works. And since it didn't cost me anything I'm not going to charge you anything for it either. I'm giving it to you free to use – or not use – as you wish.

Tell yourself that it's okay to worry. In fact, you can worry all you want. But there's only one rule that I was taught about this method of dealing with worry.

And that rule is this: make an appointment with yourself every day to worry for a certain period of time. It could be for half an hour. Fifteen minutes. An hour. Whatever it is, make an appointment with yourself for say 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 5 o'clock – wherever you have a slot in your day when you have nothing to do but sit and worry.

Then all you do for the period of time that you have selected is worry. And worry. And worry. Worry about everything and anything you want to worry about. And then when your time is up, stop worrying and go on about your business. And you'll find that it's easier to go about your business because you've done all the worrying you're allowed to do for today.

And then tomorrow, you go through the same routine. You pick yourself a time of day when you have some open minutes or hours and tell yourself just to worry as much as you want.

So what's the point, you might ask. Well after you do this boring routine for a week or two you will realize that all of a sudden you have the power and the choice to worry or not worry. It's all up to you. And for some reason, maybe just the idea that you have control over your thoughts, you find yourself viewing worry a little bit differently.

Try it. Like I said, I'm not going to charge you anything for the tip. And when it works you can thank me later.

Click here to email John