Thursday, July 4, 2019

A Panhandler

As I drove up and parked in front of the CVS pharmacy the other day I noticed a tiny figure in a wheelchair panhandling off to the right of the front door. I didn't pay much attention to him going in because I knew I didn't have any small bills to give him. But I did plan to give him something on the way out.

After I picked up my prescription, I set aside some bills in my pocket and walked outside. The man in the wheelchair motioned to me, a large cup in one hand. It was only then that I noticed the condition of his body. He only had one leg, one arm, and it appeared that the right half of his body was missing. When I handed him the money he reached up and grasped it with his toes. Apparently, the loss of various parts of his body had forced him to adapt and use his foot whenever his hand was occupied.

"Thank you," he told me. "Now I'll be able to get a motel tonight."

As I drove away it was with several emotions. Even though I have nothing in my life that's causing me overwhelming problems the few I did have immediately became very minuscule. I couldn't imagine having to navigate through life in the circumstances that this man is living with. However, I reflected that probably he suffered from some kind of birth defect or else had been in a serious accident. If It was a birth defect he probably was used to living that way, having never known any other life. However, if an accident was the cause of his deformed body it probably took a great deal of perseverance to learn to navigate with just one arm and one leg.

And as I write this today I reflected that perhaps it's judgmental of me to think that this man's life is so terrible. Maybe he's accepting of the situation because he has a way to make a living and probably sometimes runs in the people who are quite generous with him. Who am I to say? But I guess it's human nature for us to look at life through the template of our own existence; after all, what else can we compare to?

The one thing I did take away from this encounter is that I know I must be grateful for all the blessings I have in my life today. I must be compassionate to others and share with them when I am able. I must not judge others, whatever their circumstances.

And I must remember that life is exactly is the way it's supposed to be at this very moment.

Click here to email John