Saturday, June 11, 2022

Father's Day

June 19th is Father's Day, which always falls on the third Sunday in June.

And many people are looking forward to celebrating it.  Some are trying to figure out the right gift for their dad. Maybe a dinner.  Or a necktie. Maybe cologne. A gift card tucked inside a greeting card.  Something to show their esteem and love for the man who raised them. And that's a good thing.

As to me, I never celebrated anything about my father. Even though he passed in 1970 at the age of 60 it's difficult for me to dredge up anything good about him. 

In fact, when he died someone called to tell me about it, and I said "Good," then hung up the phone..  I never went to the funeral and I never grieved over his death.  As far as I was concerned he was dead to me the last time I saw him, when I was about 15 years old.

I know it sounds like I'm still angry and bitter toward him. And while I used to feel that way, I no longer do. Once I got sober, I started using the principles of the 12-step programs to get rid of my anger and resentment toward him.  And anyone else that I had angry feelings toward.

My anger and resentment toward my father stemmed from his alcoholism, his brutality to his children and anyone else he felt like beating.  But it wasn't until I got a few years into sobriety that my feelings changed.  And that was when I began to understand the dynamics of alcoholism and how it affects different people.  While I don't have warm fuzzies toward him, at least I understand him better.

After working with alcoholics for 30 plus years I've learned that most of us had terrible relationships with our fathers.  And those relationships pushed us into our own addictions in many cases.

But eventually, we learn we must move on with life, regardless of who harmed us in the past. Otherwise we might follow the same path and have a miserable life..

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment