Monday, June 12, 2023

Do I want Success?

 Do I want to succeed?

When I went into a detoxification program over 30 years ago I had a burning desire for success. And what did success mean to me at that time? 

Then, success meant many things – but none of them were really material things. True, when I first got out of detox and went to a halfway house I had nothing. Zilch. I didn't even have a change of clothes. But those were things that I could accumulate in time.

Back then, success meant being free of the drug and alcohol habit which had plagued me for much of my life. All I needed was a job.  A home.  A car.  But those could wait.  Because the most important thing was being completely sober.  And learning to live that way happily.

So I lived my life a day at a time.  I spent no time muddling around in my past.  Nor, did I spend a lot of time looking toward the future.  I knew I could do nothing about my wretched past except feel bad about it.  And I knew I could do nothing about the future until it arrived. 

But, I began to feel successful once I went into the halfway house.  For the first time in my life I had a clear vision: I wanted to live life without being enslaved to drugs and alcohol.

Even though I was 51 years old at the time, I started out at the bottom. I worked entry-level jobs. I did day labor.  I remember that I had one job digging holes under swimming pools looking for leaks – and at minimum wage.  Another job I had was spreading gravel with a shovel for a landscaping project in 110° heat.  But, I didn't let the hard work deter me because I had a burning desire to succeed.

I attended 12 step meetings. I found a sponsor with whom I could communicate, one that I thought would understand what was going on with me. I did service work, chairing meetings at the local detoxification center for the first six years I was sober. My sponsor led me through all the steps and I began to understand the dimensions of my disease.

I had originally planned to stay in that halfway house for 30 days, thinking that I would have my life together by then. But I didn't think I was ready when I arrived at 30 days so I made a commitment to stay six months.  And when I arrived at six months I decided I needed at least a year of sobriety before I set out on my own.  So I ended up living at the halfway house for a year.  It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

After I left the halfway house I decided to start my own recovery program.  It was hard work, but I felt successful whenever I helped someone learn how to live in recovery.

Today I have a lot of material things, but none of them are as important as the feeling of freedom I have from my addiction.

Is there any advice here for an addict or alcoholic who's looking for success?  Yes.  And that advice is to follow your passion.  Believe in yourself and your dreams.  Be willing to fall on your butt once in a while because being successful and staying sober is often hard work.  Wrap your success in recovery and your success will come easier.

You're worth it.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment