Thursday, June 15, 2023

Reason for Gratitude

 No matter where we go in the world we can always find something to be grateful for.

I bring up the subject of gratitude because I'm on vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and I see a lot of handicapped people on the streets panhandling. Of course I'm grateful that it's not me out there panhandling.  But it also tells me that no matter where we go in the world that some people have it worse than others.  In the case of some of these handicapped panhandlers, a lot worse.  Many of them are missing limbs and unable to get around without the aid of a wheelchair or crutches. And I'm pretty certain that most of them don't have disability insurance.

The average person in this country makes about $16.50 a day. The only exception is those who live around the northern border of Mexico, next to the United States. Mexico has raised the minimum wage in that area because a lot of American companies operate there and they'll pay a higher wage for employees and still save money over what they would pay in the United States.

Still, people from this country seem to be happy and satisfied with their lives. Even though they don't have the latest electronic gadgets or fancy cars I never hear a lot of complaining from them about their circumstances. They seem to be grateful for having their health and their families, a place to live, and food on the table.  I think they realize that beyond the basics more stuff is not going make them any happier.

When I see them struggling to provide the basics, yet still seeming to live happy lives I'm even more grateful for the opportunities I'm given in my own country.

Click here to email John

 


No comments:

Post a Comment