Tuesday, November 28, 2023

At the Marina

Today I'm writing this blog from the balcony of my rented condo in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I have a beautiful view of the marina full of sailboats and motor yachts.  The last time I was here was November 2022.  I've been trying to get back here ever since.  But for one reason or other the trip has been canceled – either by crisis at the office or being ill.

In any event, I'm not complaining.  In 32 years sober I feel grateful to be alive and still on the planet.

When frustration takes hold of me, as it does when I don't get the things I want, I start thinking about poor me.  But then I pinch myself and realize that I must be grateful every day for having gotten sober January 9, 1991 in Mesa, Arizona.

And since I got sober I've been trying to help other people get sober and built an organization to help facilitate that project.  And mostly my trying to help others has been a great blessing to me as I've been able to pretty much live the life I dreamed of before getting sober. 

In all my fantasies I never imagined I'd be able to live the life I do today.  I work the hours I want, probably about six hours a day.  I own my own home.  I take my family on vacations in the summer and around Christmas time.  Although none of us are totally in control of our destiny I sometimes get the feeling that my life is going exactly as I would want it to without changing anything. 

And I say that to let you those of you in recovery know that there is a better life possible when we get sober and/or clean.  And while this may seem common sense, it's much easier to say it than to put it into practice.  While the idea of recovery might sound to some people as being easy it sometimes is quite the opposite.  Just because we get sober, life doesn't go away.  We still have to work.  We still have to raise our kids.  All the same kinds of things happen when we're in recovery, as happened when we drinking and drugging.  However, it's just not quite as bad and most of the time a lot better.

Try staying sober, living a normal life, and good things will happen for you also.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment