Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Politically Correct?

I confess. I'm not politically correct.

Like when a store clerk wishes me "happy holiday." I always respond with "Merry Christmas." And I say it loud enough so others can hear. And when I do this a few people nod their heads and smile - like maybe we're in the same club.

And so far the Bureau of Political Correctness hasn't given me a citation for this lapse. In fact, I'm not sure if that agency's in existence yet. But if trends continue it might be coming.

But at this point I don't let many things grate on me. I'm one who's in acceptance about most everything. Whether I agree or not. Political correctness, though, is an exception. Not enough to relapse over, but enough to cause mini-ripples in my serenity.

Sometimes I wonder why this irritates me. And I guess it's the idea that others try to impose their beliefs on me. I think everyone has a right to think or do whatever they want. As long as it doesn't harm others.

Kind of like the sign on the wall of our meeting room: Live and Let Live.

Click here to email John