Wednesday, December 9, 2015

On a Mission

Arriving back home today after a week in Puerto Vallarta. There's always a twinge of regret when we get back on the plane. It's tough to look down through the clouds and watch paradise shrink in the distance behind us.

The reality is that my wife and I could afford to spend our days loafing on the beach. But the larger reality is that kicking back and doing nothing is not fulfilling. In fact, it's deadening to the soul.

What has meaning is what I've been doing for 25 years. And that's helping those who want to escape their addictions.

Having a mission in life - whatever it is - is its own reward. And there's nothing like a message from the distant past to remind me of that.

Today a former resident and manager from the old days wrote to say that he's doing well and saying thank you. That's what it's about.

Doing for others can create a circle that grows and grows. I recall how wonderful I felt when a local halfway house accepted me out of detox 25 years ago when I was flat broke. It made such an impression on me that I ended up starting TLC.

That simple act of kindness made a difference. And I plan to keep passing on the help someone gave to me.