Thursday, December 3, 2015

Celebrating

December 3 is a big day each year on my calendar.

Four years ago today my lovely wife, Dawn, and I married in Las Vegas. And today also is her birthday.

This year we're splurging at a cliff-side resort five miles south of Puerto Vallarta to commemorate the day. We have a sweeping view of the ocean and jungle from our wrap around fifth floor corner suite. There's a Jacuzzi on the patio, and a hammock stretched across one corner. Kind of a heaven on earth scenario. In the daytime there's a gentle 80 degree breeze coming off the ocean a few hundred feet below.

Both of us are grateful to have the blessings we have today. We've been in recovery since the early 90s. We both suffered traumatic experience that left us trying to cover our pain with years of addiction.

She took one path when she got sober, going to school and earning four degrees. Then working for the Federal Government for 12 years.

I took another, building a recovery business that has succeeded beyond my dreams.

I describe our lives because I want those we work with to realize that once sober we can enjoy life without drugs and alcohol. We can succeed at whatever we're willing to work at.

Does that mean we're well now? Not really. At times we both wrestle with the demons and nightmares of our past. Just like many of the addicts we work with.

But neither of us runs back to the dark side. Instead we use the tools we've been given. We rarely argue, instead we support and love one another. She can tell when I need propping up. And I know when she needs extra love and understanding.

God blessed me ten years ago when she came into my life. And so today I wish her happy birthday -and anniversary.

Click here to email John