Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Miracle Cure?

For around 30 years I've had hepatitis C. Probably from sharing dirty needles. For many of those afflicted with this virus it can be a death sentence. It progressively destroys the liver if left untreated. Fortunately my liver has remained healthy all this time.

I bring this up after asking a halfway house client with Hep C how his treatment was going. Several months ago he said his doctor told him that his liver was getting worse. That he might need treatment. So I wondered if he'd made any progress.

When we spoke yesterday he told me that he had been on a course of treatment for, I believe, less than two months. And now, after such a short period, the virus is no longer detectable. In other words, he's cured.

I know that many of our population at TLC has Hep C. I encourage you to speak to your doctor about it. Some reports I've read show that 96% are cured within 12 weeks.  And it's something that's covered by AHCCCS, as I understand it.

Truly a miracle when a potentially fatal disease can be cured in such a short time by taking one pill a day for a few weeks.

Click here to email John