Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Miracle Cure?

For around 30 years I've had hepatitis C. Probably from sharing dirty needles. For many of those afflicted with this virus it can be a death sentence. It progressively destroys the liver if left untreated. Fortunately my liver has remained healthy all this time.

I bring this up after asking a halfway house client with Hep C how his treatment was going. Several months ago he said his doctor told him that his liver was getting worse. That he might need treatment. So I wondered if he'd made any progress.

When we spoke yesterday he told me that he had been on a course of treatment for, I believe, less than two months. And now, after such a short period, the virus is no longer detectable. In other words, he's cured.

I know that many of our population at TLC has Hep C. I encourage you to speak to your doctor about it. Some reports I've read show that 96% are cured within 12 weeks.  And it's something that's covered by AHCCCS, as I understand it.

Truly a miracle when a potentially fatal disease can be cured in such a short time by taking one pill a day for a few weeks.

Click here to email John