Monday, July 18, 2016

Enjoying the Journey

We were in California Saturday and Sunday. Just a couple days of loafing in a hotel, with a view of the bay. About a mile from the airport.

One of the beautiful spots in the world. Someplace we might think about living. Except that we live in Arizona, helping others get sober. It's also where many of our family members live. Our roots are in the desert, far from ocean breezes.

I was reflecting yesterday - while driving here - about how much of a hurry everyone was to get here. I don't drive like most senior citizens; I usually keep it about 5-6 miles over the speed limit. Yet, even though I have one of the fastest production cars on the planet, I try to enjoy the journey as much as possible.

Our route takes us through beautiful mountains and deserts, yet I had SUVs blowing me off the highway trying to get here.

And while I understand emergencies, getting to the beach - or to a cooler climate - isn't one of them. Every time I go to San Diego, depending on the time of year, it's pretty much the same. I'm not going to miss anything by being in a hurry. Plus, when I get here I'll be relaxed and ready to enjoy the destination.

Even if someone gets here half an hour ahead of me, what will they do with that extra half hour? Will they unpack before we do? Will they check-in before we do? And what will they do with those extra minutes by getting here before everyone else?

I've learned that enjoying the moment and the journey is what life is all about. And I'm going to do my best to live that philosophy.