Saturday, July 9, 2016

Power of Drugs

As an MMA fan I looked forward to a fight card this evening featuring Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier. And I'm sure millions of others were also.

Then the news that Jones won't be fighting because he failed a drug test. At this writing it's unclear whether the substance in question is performance enhancing. Or perhaps something recreational. But with the former champ's recent history of run ins with the law, it's anyone's guess.

This real life drama doesn't surprise me. Because once one crosses over the line into drug use who knows where it stops?

In our world of drug treatment we've seen many careers lost because how the person felt was all that mattered. Job. Marriage. Children. Nothing would stand in the way of that next high. It happened to me.

When I talk to parents about what their children stand to lose with their addiction I often use examples. I remind them of the superstars and athletes who've thrown away millions - and even died -in their chase for that certain feeling.

I also remind them that we view our work as dealing with life and death. That drugs sometimess have an overwhelming power that overrides everything else. Because over the past 25 years we've seen many addicts go out and overdose in spite of everything we teach them.

But what we've also seen is that when clients follow some simple suggestions they go on to rebuild their lives. And that’s what makes our mission worthwhile.