Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A longtime acquaintance of mine, who is in recovery, manages a low-rent hotel where many of the residents are practicing alcoholics and addicts. The police frequently visit to deal with drunken residents. Or they'll serve a warrant on someone for drug-related offenses. Once or twice a year a resident dies from drug or alcohol related causes.

"Doesn't this interfere with your sobriety?" I once asked the manager.

"Not really," he responded. "It actually helps me stay sober when I see all the problems these residents have over drinking and drugging."

He went on to explain to me that it's more than just the drug overdoses or arrests that have an effect on him. He explained that he sees all of the other problems that alcoholics and addicts have in their lives. Many of them have financial issues. Others have health problems that are related to drug and alcohol use. It seems like they are regularly having relationship or family issues.

"Working here actually helps me with my own sobriety," he told me. He went on to explain that nearly everything he has read in the literature plays out at his place of work.

This man's story illustrates that if we're working a good recovery program it doesn't matter where we work or who's around us. If we are well grounded and are working the steps, then we have the tools to stay sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment