Thursday, October 7, 2010

Often our clients reflect upon what they don't have versus what they do have in their lives today.

I was reminded of this during a peer group as a client talked about his days as an athlete. I could see the pride on his face as he discussed his accomplishments 20 years ago. He referred this period as "the best time of my life."

I wasn't unkind to him. I didn't bother to point out that he was older and many pounds heavier than he was during those former glory days. Or that he didn't exercise anymore and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day.

I like to focus in our peer groups on living in the present moment because the present moment is all we have. In my opinion the past can be beneficial in some ways. It can serve as a template of our potential when are at our best. But beyond that it's not much use in the present moment.

When we show up in recovery most of us are damaged by whatever drug we used. We are depressed and life can look hopeless. Most of our clients come to us emotionally and physically bankrupt. It's probably natural for them to focus upon a time when life was glorious and they were at the top of their game.

But what about right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment