Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Saving my Life

When we're looking for new staff members we use a simple formula.

The number one thing on the list is recovery. That's the first thing we bring up when interviewing for a position: How long have you been sober? Do you have a sponsor? Do you have sponsees? What step are you working on?

Then we ask why they want to do such a low-paying, unrewarding job?

How's your patience and tolerance level? Do you have a quick temper?

How about communication skills? Do you boss clients around? Or do you work on getting their cooperation?

Now this almost sounds like someone who's interviewing for a high level corporate job where interpersonal communication is primary. But this is for a job that pays barely living wage, with one exception.

It's one of the few jobs you can work in that will actually save your life.

I have applicants ask me what the job pays. And when I tell them that from a monetary standard not much. But on the other hand it will will pay them something that money can't buy: their lives.

I know that when I got in this business I did the math and thought that it seemed liked a pretty good deal. Until I spent a few years dealing with people who were as troubled as I was.

As I went on though, I began to realize that the important part of the business is where I get to live sober for another day. And another.

That's when I realized I had the most rewarding job in the world - one I plan to keep as long as I can function well enough to show up to work each day.