Thursday, May 5, 2016

Too many Friends

A while back I was reading a magazine about Japanese customs, and learned something I'd never heard before.

The essence of the story was that in Japanese society people don't make new friends very easily And the reason is that making a friend is a comittment to spend time with and do things with the new friend. In their culture - at least when I read this - friendships were viewed seriously.

The subject arose when I overheard a conversation between two of my grandchildren. One was boasting to the other that she'd gotten a bunch of new friends on Facebook And the way she talked about it it was some kind of an accomplishment.

Then I had a discussion with them about this custom. They thought it was strange that a person wouldn’t try to have all the friends they possibly could. In their circle it was a status symbol. I could tell she thought I was lost in the wrong century because I wasn’t a Facebook member.

I cut the talk because I didn’t want to alienate my loved ones over something I didn’t understand. Whatever happens life will provide the right answers. We simply must wait awhile.  I'm lucky to even be a blogger.