Friday, April 17, 2020

RIP Conor

We received the news earlier this week that a longtime resident of our treatment program passed away in his sleep shortly after he left TLC Treatment and returned to his home on the East Coast.

And it's been kind of gloomy around the treatment program the last few days because Conor was well- loved by the staff and therapists who worked with him, as well as the other clients.

I first met him almost a year ago when he came to my office to ask if I'd hypnotize him so he could quit smoking. I agreed. And a few days later he returned and we had a one hour session. We had a couple of follow-up meetings after that and he was able to break the habit.

I didn't know much of his history at the time, but he told me he was battling a rare blood disease – I believe something related to leukemia – and that he wanted to quit smoking because that would give his body more energy to fight the disease. During the nearly a year he was with us he had many doctors appointments and spent short periods of time in the hospital. When I'd run into him around the campus he was always pleasant and usually smiling. We'd chat briefly and I was always impressed with his equanimity in the face of a life-threatening disease.

He also was serious about his recovery, attended many meetings, and worked regularly with his sponsor. He was a strong example for the other clients because – in spite of his health challenges – he kept a pleasant demeanor and never complained about anything. He did everything expected of him in the treatment program and never used his illness as an excuse to miss meetings or not participate.

He was an example for me, because I don't know how I'd respond to a life-threatening illness that was causing me pain. Would I have the same courage as he? And do everything I could to fight for survival? Or even though I have 29 years sober, would I relapse and return to my drug of choice to kill the pain? Of course this is a rhetorical question, but still I was impressed with his courage in the face of such a daunting challenge.

May you rest in peace, Conor. And thank you for the time you shared with us. By your example you made all of our lives a little better.

Click here to email John.