Sunday, July 11, 2021

Vacation at the Beach

Every summer for the past 25 years I've met my family in June or July at Imperial Beach, California, which is about 10 miles North of Tijuana and the Mexican border.

When we began this annual trip it soon turned into a family tradition.  At first we had one beachfront condo with four bedrooms.  The next year it was another condo.  And we kept adding each year until this year we had to rent six for our vacation.  And of course last year we couldn't go because of the epidemic. 

And all of this is possible because 30 years ago I made a decision to change my life by ridding it of drugs and alcohol.

I didn't make the decision to change because I thought I'd be able to take vacations or enjoy a lot of material things in my life.  I got clean because I knew that sooner or later I'd overdose, die of hepatitus C, or end up back in prison or a mental hospital.  In other words pain made me change.

And hopefully, if you're still using and drinking your life will become so painful that you'll decide to go to a detox or hospital and get on the path to change.  There are many programs available for those who want to live a different life.  But until you are willing to change nothing will happen except more pain.

Click here to email John


No comments:

Post a Comment