Saturday, October 16, 2021

On Vacation

One of the benefits of being sober is being able to go on vacation a few times a year.  Usually by October we've been somewhere at least four or five times.

But between Covid 19 and and key people leaving for whatever reason, this is only my third time away from the company for more than a few days.  Fortunately, I have some trustworthy key people around me that can manage things while I'm gone.

So this time my sweetheart and I chose Panama City, Panama, somewhere neither of us have ever been.  For some reason I had entirely different expectations of what the country would be like.  For one thing it has a small population, somewhere around 1.5 million citizens.  I envisioned at least four to five million.

And another misconception I had was that it was sunshiny year around, closer to like Arizona where we're from.  Not so.  Here it rains or sprinkles for a few hours each day and then is kind of cloudy and overcast the rest of the time.  But being from Arizona, it's a pleasant change from the predictable weather there.

Panama City is one of the few cities I've been to where I refuse to drive. Most people drive with one hand on their horn, many times forcing other vehicles to either hit them or get out of the way.  As little driving as we planned on doing I took the car back the third day here.

Still it's good to relax, enjoy foods I haven't sampled very much before, and just get business off my  mind.

People often say we're lucky to be able to do what we do.   Go on vacations.  Live in nice homes.  And they're right.  But all the luck we have comes from living clean and sober lives - what we're promised when we join the 12-step programs.

Click here to email john

No comments:

Post a Comment