Friday, March 18, 2022

How to Meditate

In the Alcoholics Anonymous Big book we find the phrase, "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God..."

Now most of us - not all of us for sure - have been exposed to prayer at different stages of our lives.  But few of us have had formal training in meditation, how it works, or how to do it.  I was one of those.

Before I arrived in recovery, I had been exposed over the years to the prayer practices of different religions.  But that was because my parents were divorced and each had their own choice of religion.

After being in AA for a while and not learning anything about meditation, I ended up finding a meditation teacher and took an 11-month course in mindfulness meditation.  I eventually became a certified instructor.  I now practice meditation for 30 minutes a day when I first arise in the morning. And I find it quite beneficial.

For those who are interested, it goes like this:

Sit upright on a comfortable cushion, chair, or - as I do - the head of the bed.

You can cross your legs if you wish, though it's not necessary.  Gently close your eyes and focus your mind on your breathing.

Follow your breath in and out, focusing upon it as you do.  As you proceed you'll likely find thoughts come into your consciousness.  Observe the thoughts without judgement, then let them pass.  Continue focusing upon the breath.  The thoughts will come drifting back.  Again, observe them without judgement, watching them as you might watch clouds passing through the sky, or leaves drifting on a stream.

Don't become frustrated at your inability to focus.  All meditators report this as a challenge.  And more important, remember that there's no good or bad meditation - there's just meditation.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment