Monday, July 3, 2023

Reasons for Gratitude

Today I'm reflecting on gratitude. Because having gratitude is what helps me stay sober and keep balance in my life.

So what am I grateful for today?  At the moment I'm writing this in front of a window on the 27th floor of a condominium in downtown Las Vegas.  If one likes to look at a city, then this is a perfect vantage point to see it from.  I'm so high above the street that the automobiles passing below look like children's toys.  And in between the skyscrapers surrounding my condominium I have a view of the mountain range outside the city.  All in all it's a view that I'm enjoying while I'm in town with 20 family members for the July 4 holiday.  And I'm grateful for that.  I'm also grateful that I have the financial resources to be able to invite 20 family members for a five day vacation.  And for the fact that they all showed up, some driving from 500 miles away.

Quite likely, none of this would've been possible had I not gotten sober 32 years ago. Since the day I walked into a detoxification unit in Mesa, Arizona my life has gotten continually better.

Within five years of getting sober I had also become financially successful and had all of the material things I had wished for.

And while I'm grateful for being financially successful, I'm even more grateful for the fact that I've developed a certain amount of wisdom and emotional stability.  At one time I was the kind of drug addict and alcoholic who let everything that upset me drive me to the next binge. And that doesn't happen today.

So do I ever get upset?  Of course.  But I now – after 32 years of recovery – am able to get myself back on course very rapidly.  Another reason for gratitude.

Today I have gratitude for being able to live in peace and enjoy life, while still doing the work I love helping other alcoholics and addicts change their lives.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment