Saturday, September 23, 2023

Attaboy

My daughter was visiting a recovery group on Facebook and ran across the snippet below, which was directed at TLC.  Of course, she immediately forwarded it to me.  And I liked it so much I'm sharing it on this blog.

"I see a lot of great places that post on this page as far as sober living.

I've been helping people for a long time and I appreciate everything I find on this group. The one group I don't see a lot from is TLC and they win the award hands down.

You need nothing when you show up. I have taken people there with nothing but the clothes on their back and they don't turn them away. They get them in there with no deposit.

They constantly take hits when people leave and don't pay their program fees, but they still accept them. Talk about the unspoken hero.  Not a lot of people have a deposit or a penny to their name - and I see a lot of programs that will shut there the door on them right away.

TLC won't do that and that's why they are the best.  I hope they can read this so they know how truly important they are to the community and how amazing they truly are."  (Name left out to protect anonymity.)

I understand that people like to live in the nicest of accommodations. 

But TLC, which was started by addicts for addicts, has never had accommodations as a priority because of funding issues.  Our program doesn't get government grants and struggled to survive for the first 15 years.  As time passed and we became a little more prosperous, we've started to put more money into remodeling and updating properties.  While we'll never be Betty Ford clinic - or a Scottsdale-type program - we do our best to provide for our clients. 

We see that they are well fed.  We see that they're clothed.  We see that they get glasses and dental work.  If they qualify, we sent them to our treatment program where they receive services from professional counselors. 

The one thing clients can count on when they come to us is that they're going to receive some gut level treatment, much of it through the peer counseling they receive from fellow addicts and alcoholics. 

We’ll always be here to help the addict who comes to our door broke and broken.  And we also will do our best to provide suitable accommodations while they’re in the process of rebuilding their lives. 

Click here to email John 

No comments:

Post a Comment