Monday, September 11, 2023

Serenity

The definition of serenity is "being calm, peaceful, and untroubled."

That was the topic of the 12 – step meeting I attended this morning.  And I thought it was timely, considering the state of the world we live in today.  Wherever we look there are earthquakes, fires, wars, and other disasters.  All conditions that run counter to serenity.

But I believe that living in a state of serenity is an important goal for recovering alcoholics and addicts.  Because when we live in serenity, our first answer when problems present themselves is to deal with them calmly and peacefully.

But when I was much younger almost anything could set me off on a binge. If I stubbed my toe, got a flat tire, or was late to work  – any of these relatively trivial things would destroy my peace. And I thought the only way for me to become peaceful again was to crack open a bottle or stick a needle in my arm.

So how do we find this magic elixir of serenity?  One way I find it is to meditate each day upon awakening.  I spend 30 to 45 minutes in a state of meditation, coming out of it completely relaxed and eager to face the day.  An alternate way for me to find peace is through exercise.  I have a gymnasium in one room of my house with everything I need to get a good workout.  There's something about working out and filling my system with endorphins that relaxes me and removes any stress that I might be feeling.  Meditation helps put all of my problems – if I have any - into the proper perspective.

But what works for me might not work for you. You may have your own favorite pastime when you want to get away from issues and bring peace to your life.  Maybe your answer is a walk in the park.  Going to a movie.  Sharing dinner with a friend.  Or giving your dog a bath.

There are many ways to bring serenity into our lives.  And my answer may not work for you. Whatever you do to calm yourself down and brings you peace is fine.  The good part is that it works. 

And whatever works for you enhances your recovery, which is the most important thing.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment