Friday, December 8, 2023

Broken Bones

Just returned from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, last night after spending nine nights in paradise,  But I probably should rephrase that because it wasn't nine nights - it was only five nights.  Because on the fifth day I broke my right foot while exercising,  Like most addicts I was denying that it was broken; I thought I'd simply sprained it.

So I took some Tylenol and laid down, believing I'd feel better in a few hours.  However, that wasn't the case.  When I put my right foot on the floor an excruciating shock went through my foot and ankle and I found myself heading for the emergency room.  An x-ray confirmed that I'd snapped a bone on the outside of my right foot and did serious damage to the bone next to it,

The prognosis was that it would heal if I stayed in bed for the next 4-6 weeks with my foot elevated on a pillow.  When off the bed I was to wear a large boot that would force the bones to stay together.  At that point the best part of the vacation was over because the only movement I made was either on crutches, in a wheelchair, or while wearing my boot.

My companion and I discussed returning home early.  But that didn't make much sense because wherever I was my movement would be limited so why not be by the ocean?  So we stayed.

I guess the worst part of being bedridden is that it cancelled my Christmas trip to Las Vegas, made me miss Christmas events and requires that I work from my home office.

Even though this is unpleasant, the one thing one learns after 33 years of sobriety is how to accept the adversity that sometimes comes our way.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment