Saturday, December 23, 2023

First World Problems

This has been an interesting year for me, especially this Christmas season.  While I had big plans for the end of the year they didn't turn out at all the way I visualized.

One of my plans was to spend 10 days in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - from November 27 through December 7 - in a condo by the Marina, relaxing and looking at the sailboats beneath our balcony.  I was able to achieve some of that, but then on the fifth day I slipped on a carpet and broke a couple bones in my right foot.  So, the next five days I was hobbling around on crutches with my foot encased in a boot.

And because of the break, my plans to accompany my family to Las Vegas for three days between Christmas and New Years were quashed.

Like many addicts I find it easy to slip into a bad mood and feel sorry for myself.  Because once I visited my doctor here at home he restricted my life even more by telling me to keep my foot elevated for four to six weeks and not do much else.  Of course that's not my style because I like to keep moving and taking care of business.  The only reason I followed his directions is because I thought I'd make things worse if I did what I wanted.

As I mused about my situation I began to realize that in relation to many others my life is just fine,  Specifically, I thought about the hell that people are going through in the war between Israel and Gaza.  In comparison with what the tunnel hostages are going through my problems are zero.

I think the term "first world problems" is a good description of what we face in our country compared to what many in the so-called third world are forced to live with.  In the 32 years of my recovery I've learned to have gratitude for everything in my life, regardless of how difficult I think they are..

Life depends upon my outlook.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment