Monday, September 1, 2014

Baby Steps

A woman in recovery, whom I’ve known for some time, sent the following. It was in response to a posting I made about the importance of caring for ourselves. She writes:

“John, I was on a recovery web site yesterday. I found the following analogy: 

"Changing our obsessions is like switching seats on the Titanic".

“I was catching up on your blogs this morning, read this one and had to respond. I think differently in recovery. You can bet I never worried too much of myself or what I owe myself while I was in active addiction. In my first few months of sobriety, I realized I had replaced the drugs and alcohol with food, cigarettes, and my personal favorite, diet coke. These choices are still helping the "grim reapers" visit much sooner than necessary.


“So I have put down the cigs, making healthier choices in fueling my body. I care about the kind of person I am. I am no longer content with just getting by. I want to be useful to others. So every day I practice what I have learned through God, and AA. The diet coke is still in my life, but I have incorporated more water in my diet! Baby Steps!”

In my mind “Baby Steps” are a smart way to make change less painful. And probably more lasting.

Click here to email John