Thursday, September 4, 2014

Finding Gratitude

Every once in a while I have lunch with my sponsor. Yesterday was one of those days.

When he asked how I was doing, I mentioned health issues. They seem to occur more often now that I'm in my mid-70s. Neuropathy. Hepatitis. And so forth.

Being the saint that he is, he listened patiently for a while before commenting.

"Well," he said, "you're lucky you have health insurance to take care of these things." And I think he also mentioned something about acceptance. And gratitude.

And, of course, I agreed with him. I'm grateful that I have the ability to care for myself.

I look around at those who are facing physical and mental challenges, but with limited resources. Or with nothing at all.

My sponsor's observations help me refocus on my blessings. For many years I drank. I used drugs. And I didn't take good care of myself.

So today I'm grateful that – at 75 – I'm healthy enough to work six days a week because I want to. I'm able to spend time with my wife and family. I have a nice home. Vacations.

A prod toward gratitude always changes my perspective.