Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Why Mindfulness?

Over the past few years I've been studying mindfulness.

And I often get asked about it, considering how often I bring it up. Here are two that come up:

How did I get started?

For example, why did I start doing it?

Because I did Transcendental Meditation for over 15 years when I discovered there are other disciplines that claim similar benefits and are as simple to practice. I found that mindfulness offered many of the same benefits at much less cost. I gave it at try and have been there since.

Do I have to change my religion?

No. Mindfulness practitioners are encouraged to follow their own beliefs. This is just one example. I became interested because I'd been meditating for a long time. Along the way I discovered there are several other disciplines that claim similar benefits and are as a simple to practice. I looked into a few found that mindfulness offered many of the same benefits at much less cost. I gave it a try and have been at it ever since.

Click here to email John