Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Seeing Kindness

I've been going with a friend to a series of medical treatments for several months. And I went because he asked me. Sort of a moral support thing. Though that isn't the way he put it.

At first I didn't want to. I've disliked medical realities since I was a child. But I did it anyway because it was the right thing to do.

Looking back, though, I wouldn't have exchanged the experience for anything. It reminded me that there are many kind and helpful people in the world - especially in the medical field. People who are gentle and brilliant and who really do care. People who could have used their talents to make a fortune. But instead they spend their days helping others improve their lives by giving them hope and lessening their pain.

I think it's good for addicts and alcoholics like my friend and me to see people like this. And that's because we addicts sometimes get caught up in this world of recovery where we forget that everyone in the world isn't like us.

That there are many others in the world who exhibit kindness, and loving behavior that we can use for role models.

I'm a better person for the experience.