Thursday, August 5, 2010

Often I encourage those in early recovery to be helpful to others.

"But what do I have to offer?" they might ask. I explain that, even though they might feel that way, they have a great deal to offer other newcomers. I recite to them example from my own early recovery. When I entered a detoxification unit in Mesa, Arizona, January 13, 1991 they offered meetings where speakers would come in and share with the clients. One evening a speaker came in who had 10 years of sobriety. He was well-dressed and well groomed, wearing a white shirt and tie. As I recall, he had a great story of recovery. He was obviously successful and sobriety was working for him. The only problem was that I couldn't relate to him because he had been sober so long.

But I remember another speaker who came in during my stay at the detoxification unit. This speaker was wearing a tattered cowboy hat and worn cowboy boots, along with work clothes. He wasn't particularly articulate. He didn't have a memorable story. And while he only had six months of sobriety, that's the one thing that stood out for me. I realized that if this man could stay sober six months, so could I.

When I suggest to newcomers the importance of being helpful to other newcomers, they wonder what they might have to offer. After all, most of them are in early recovery and don't have many resources. Some might not have a job. Others might be having trouble paying rent.

I tell them the material things are not important. The most important thing they have to offer is themselves. Many new clients are depressed , feel lost, and often afraid of the new situation they are in. When someone gives them encouragement it makes all the difference in the world. When they hear that others have felt like they feel and have gone through the same situation it helps them to stick it out.

While we may offer a cigarette, or a cup of coffee, the real thing we give them is our time and our presence. When we reach out with compassion and love we are offering others the gift of sobriety. We are passing on what others gave us when we showed up at the doors of recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment