Sunday, August 8, 2010

Yesterday one of my grandchildren used the term "I have to play" when he was referring to a basketball game his team was playing later in the day. Without being too hard on him I pointed out that he didn't "have to" play, that he "got to play."

We had a brief discussion afterward because he didn't understand the concept. I explained to him that at times many of us approach life as though our responsibilities and privileges are something that we "have to do." Because I believe in living in gratitude I try to point out to those around me, particularly those in recovery, that the things we "get to do" every day are privileges.

My grandson had a better understanding of what I was trying to tell him when I explained to him that some kids don't get a chance to play sports. Either their parents can't afford for them to play, or else they don't have the athletic ability to play. Some of them might even have handicaps that keep them from participating.

I often have the same discussion with people in recovery. Some of them find jobs, begin to get their health back, then forget what life was like before sobriety. Suddenly, instead of feeling good about life they start viewing every day responsibilities as a burden - as something they "have to do."

There are many ways for us to keep a fresh perspective about the blessings we have in our lives. If we resent that we "have to go to work" we might look around us at the many people who don't have jobs. If we have health problems, we can look around us and see others with much worse health issues.

To me life is relative. If I am living in recovery then I'm aware of my blessings. If challenges come into my life I think about the friends and family members who succumbed to their addictions and are no longer with us to face challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment