Sunday, December 23, 2012

Divine Guidance

Yesterday I ran into an acquaintance I hadn't seen in a while. We greeted each other warmly, and then sat down to catch up.

She wondered how TLC endured through the economic downturn of the past four years. And I told her I wasn't sure.

But I did explain that from our early days some 20 years ago it seems like we've had divine guidance.

We started without money – or credit – yet within 18 months we were housing around 120 people. And somehow paying the bills. And we kept expanding until we were in three states and managing 1100 beds – within about five years.

And the interesting part is that none of us had experience at managing large operations. But with hard work we were able to keep things together.
More than once we've been on the verge of bankruptcy. And then a financial windfall would come through.

And, almost without fail, when we had an idea, the means to carry it out would present itself.

An example: a year ago we were kicking around the idea of starting an outpatient treatment clinic. Within a few months a tenant moved from an 1800 square foot office we’d leased - and we moved in. Someone with insurance and billing experience showed up. Someone else with a treatment background came aboard. We met counselors who were looking for work. Here eight months later the project is in the black.

The simplest way I can put it is that we've always been provided for...

3 comments:

  1. why post a comment? does anyone read it?
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's a good question,I have no money and no credit,hoe do I buy a house?
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  3. JJ,

    I do read comments. However, there's no way to know that unless I answer. I can be reached directly at schwary@msn.com.

    As to buying property with no money, I did it by finding some beat up property the owner wanted to get rid of. That's a technique that'll still work today.

    ReplyDelete