Friday, February 1, 2013

RIP Richard

In my blog January 19 I wrote about two former clients, one successful, the other still struggling with alcohol.

Then yesterday Phoenix police contacted us to locate next-of-kin for a former client, Richard S, who finally lost his struggle.

Though police gave no details, the consensus among those of us who’d worked with him this past four years, is that alcohol finally killed him. It was a sad – yet predictable - end for a man who seemed to have everything going for him when he showed up

Before alcohol took over, he reportedly enjoyed a career as a manager for a nationwide retailer and was in a long time marriage. He was a bright and articulate man who could have done whatever he wanted with his life. And when I first met him outside my office several years ago I encouraged him in his recovery because I believed he had the potential for success.

However, he relapsed a half dozen times over the next few years. And each time he returned he carried more and more damage from intense drinking. One time he was found naked and unconscious in Kingman and had to be airlifted to Phoenix. He said he had no idea of what had happened. The last time I saw him he bore faint resemblance to the man I’d met four years earlier.

When I last spoke to him on the 19th he asked for help. But I turned him down because he hadn’t succeeded in half a dozen previous stays. When I heard of his death today I felt some remorse. I wondered if one more chance might have made a difference.

The only thing I know for sure is alcoholism is a powerful disease.

2 comments:

  1. More Harm than Good? What I know about TLC is that the organization is in the business of helping people, not hurting them.

    As a Psychologist who worked with addicts, those struggling with mental heath issues, and the dual diagnosed, I felt sad reading this blog. But not remorse.

    It is my belief that had you re-admitted this client - again- you would have been doing him and the other 600 or so clients more harm than good. Relapse jeopardizes not only that client, but can take hostage those in new recovery with it.

    His repeated relapses after his many chances with TLC proves that he needed more than the program could give him. Now his struggle is over and I believe, he can truly rest in peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Your observations helps me get a better perspective on what happened with this client.

    ReplyDelete