Monday, May 6, 2013

Left too Soon

I often beat the drums about clients who focus on jobs instead of recovery. The letter below is another example of a client who left too soon. And even though he says he didn't relapse, his message indicates he was getting something important from TLC.

“I hope all is well with you. I wanted to write you to see if I could possibly come back. Last time I was supposed to do a Hard Six but got scared and left before I started.

"I am sorry for this, but being an IT person, living without a computer is hard. Computers have become my lifeline and refuge. I can talk to my friends when I am down and so on. But if you guys are willing I am willing to do a Hard 6 or even Hard 12 program. I am not asking this because I fell off the wagon. In fact I have not had a drink in years and I never did drugs. I am asking this because I am tired of a meaningless life.

"I have come to realize that while I was at TLC I was able to help people and they in turn helped me. I was afraid that if I stayed I would not be successful in life. But what I did while at TLC I have come to see as success. I will always need the program for the rest of my life. And I am very thankful to you and everyone at TLC who work hard to help others."


His statement about viewing the work he did at TLC as a form of success in itself indicates this former client may be ready for change.

There are many who've been at TLC for years; one for more than 20. Many of these men view TLC as a large family, one that supports their efforts at recovery. A family they can count on when things are tough.

Of course we'll accept this man back. And if he sticks around for a while we'll know he's ready for something different.