Sunday, May 5, 2013

No vote for Joe

There are opportunities for gratitude, wherever we go in the world. We don’t even have to look.

And today, here in Rocky Point, Sonora, Mexico, I found another as I was walking in the front door of a Mercado. Standing there was a distressed middle-aged couple who offered to wash my car for whatever I was willing to give. At their feet was a plastic bucket of dirty water and a pile of wet rags.

Before I even agreed to help them – which I was inclined to do – they told me why they were standing in front of the market.

"We're from Phoenix," the man told me. "We got arrested by Joe Arpaio's deputies and were deported with nothing, only the clothes our backs."

Of course, I'm giving you the sanitized English translation. Because the version they gave was laced with several profanities including a generous sprinkling of the Spanish version of "mofo.”

Anyway, I told them to go ahead and wash my car while I finished my shopping. And, sure enough, when I came out with my groceries they were industriously finishing the job. And, because of their circumstances, I paid them somewhat more than I would’ve for a regular car wash in the U.S.

The woman was so grateful she cried and kissed my hand. The husband wasn't quite as expressive. However, he shook my hand and thanked me.

While I rarely lack gratitude I was again reminded of our many blessings as I returned to our rented condo overlooking the beach.