Sunday, August 25, 2013

Another Perspective

I have a problem If I depend on outside circumstances to make me happy. Because happiness is not about the outside. Happiness is about my insides. And I can change my insides by changing my perspective.

For example, If I wake up in the morning and look out the window and see a cloudy day I can make a choice: I can enjoy the break from the brain-numbing Arizona sun. Or I can look at it as a gloomy day and let it dictate my mood.

One way to change perspective is to develop self-awareness. For example, when I get too busy I can feel overwhelmed. And if I don't intervene with that feeling it can develop into stress and frustration.

If I stop and tell myself that how I feel is simply part of the business I started – providing services to 600 addicts and alcoholics – then I'm okay. Once I reaffirm that I made the conscious choice to do challenging things, then life is easier. After all, I don't have to do what I do. God has allowed to do what I do.

To change perspective simply stay in the moment and check your feelings. Change begins there.