Saturday, August 10, 2013

More Gratitude

While in Orange County, California this weekend to speak at a church anniversary function we stopped at a nursing home to visit my former brother-in-law - who also was a long time drinking and drugging buddy in the sixties and seventies.

He’s been in the home for ten years, after suffering a stroke while in jail on a drug charge. Since the stroke, he’s been confined to a wheelchair and seldom gets away from the facility where he’s living

While visiting him is a nostalgic journey back to the seventies, it’s also a lesson in gratitude. Spending time visiting him in the midst of the suffering and sick is a stark reminder that many in the world face serious challenges

As I left there it was with a sense of gratitude that I chose a different path so many years ago. After seeing him I realize that I have no issues at all in my life.