Saturday, August 31, 2013

Positive News

I’ve never had a gambling addiction. And it’s a good thing. Because I don’t do well picking winners and losers – especially when it comes to recovery.

This came up for me again when I answered my phone and heard the familiar voice of an outpatient graduate, bubbling with excitement. He called to tell me that he’d obtained a position that day in a counseling center on the East Coast as a behavioral support technician.

He’s also remained clean since leaving TLC, has a part time job, a car, and lives a few blocks from the beach. His relationship with his family is on track, and he belongs to a fitness club.

This is particularly rewarding to hear because prior to coming to TLC Outpatient the client had been in several other treatment programs. He’d had so much therapy and counseling that he seemed to know as much about therapeutic process as many of our newer counselors.

While he was a willing participant while here, he also had physical and emotional challenges that seemed to limit his prospects for ongoing recovery.

Positive calls like the one from this graduate make everything worthwhile.