Thursday, June 5, 2014

Avoiding Danger

When I first got to recovery I lived in a halfway house and it affected me a lot when someone relapsed. I'd be depressed and wonder if this recovery thing really worked.

People I was close to and went to meetings with would be doing fine one day. Then the next morning they'd be nowhere around. I would hear later that they started drinking or using drugs again.

I got through this by talking to my sponsor. He used an analogy that has stayed with me. He said that in recovery we must look at ourselves as being in a battle, in a war. If someone has fallen and we can't help them, we move on.

Lately some clients have experienced the same thing. Some of those they've been close to have graduated. Then within a short time they might hear a rumor about a relapse.

Some even want to go find the person to see if they can help. We advise against this because it can be dangerous to go around someone drinking or using drugs. They expose themselves to the possibility of arrest. Further, they also risk their recovery by going to a motel or dope house to rescue someone who's using. 

Those who have relapsed or who are using made a conscious decision to use. They need to apply the knowledge they already have. They know how to find help without us putting ourselves in danger.

Click here to email John