Friday, June 6, 2014

Gratitude's for Everyone

The other day I received a lesson in gratitude from a long-time business associate.

He retired this year from a 40 year career in banking. And his retirement was partly for health reasons. One thing he divulged to me – which I hadn't known – was that he has kidney problems. As a result he undergoes dialysis three times a week.

When I told him it must be tough to undergo dialysis three days a week his answer surprised me.

He said he has a lot to be grateful for when he compares his health to others at the clinic. He's met people there who've had limbs amputated because of diabetes and other problems. When he looks at their lives he's grateful for what he has, even though he faces challenges.

I guess his answer surprised me because I live in this narrow world of addiction and recovery. And I probably have developed the idea we addicts own gratitude.

And, of course, that's not true. Gratitude is a universal spiritual principle.

And it was refreshing to get a lesson from a non-alcoholic.