Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Being Good to Ourselves

A TLC employee does a great job. No matter what assignment we give him, he does it right. Does it quickly. Meets his deadline. He rarely complains about anything.

Yet, when I call them into my office he usually arrives in a state of anxiety.

"What did I mess up?" He’ll ask.

"Did I do something wrong?"

Or, "Am I going to get fired?"

I'm always surprised when he asks these questions, because firing him is the furthest thing from my mind. He's one of our most valuable employees and it would be hard to replace him.

Usually I'm calling him to my office to ask for a report about a client. Or I have some other project I want him to work on.

After I assure him he still has his job then I can proceed with business.

Insecurity and poor self-esteem are often issues with addicts.

But there comes a time in our recovery that we must recognize the good we do. We have to pat ourselves on the back and say "I've done a good job."

And that's not ego, that's about recognizing when we do well. When someone continues to pay us that's a pretty good sign we’re doing a good job.

It's not ego to recognize the positive we do as long as we don't exaggerate or get puffed up about ourselves.

For us addicts that’s a dangerous thing.