Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Real Fire

At the office we sometimes use the term "putting out fires" when someone asks about our day.

This means, of course, solving issues that need immediate attention.

But yesterday we had a real fire at our Roosevelt property.

The fire department put it out right away. There was damage to two rooms and loss of personal items.

A short in the electrical wiring was the possible cause.

Even though there's thousands in damages, I came away grateful there were no injuries.

Also, I'm thankful we have a quick thinking staff. They took charge and got everyone out of harm's way.

My first instinct while driving there was to focus on what might happen. We could lose the whole building. Where would we put the clients? My addict brain kept chattering.

Then I took a deep breath. I already knew everyone was safe. We have great insurance. We have open beds at other locations.

Even though this is a minor setback, things could have turned out differently.

And I thank God they didn't.