Friday, August 1, 2014

Showing Respect

Over 10 years ago, we had a supervisor who struck terror wherever he went on the property. He would shout at managers and clients. He would talk down to them. He would disparage them.

One day, when I accidentally overheard him berating a manager, I called him to my office.

I told him if I ever heard of him talking to anyone like that again he was gone. All I wanted to hear was how nice he was treating everyone.

And for the next few weeks I got good feedback. He was treating everyone well.

Then one day he came to my office and resigned. It was too difficult for him to change. So he was going to find another job.

Since that time we make it point to teach managers how to talk to clients and other employees.

No matter what someone has done, even if it's wrong or stupid, we ask that they treat them with respect and dignity.

We do nothing positive when we raise their stress level by being rough on them.

And in the process we raise our own stress level, all of which runs counter to recovery.

Click here to email John