Thursday, August 7, 2014

Rigid about Recovery

When I was sober fifteen years an old using buddy from California found me on the internet.

He told me he hadn't used heroin for over ten years.

He'd been working in a treatment program for a long time and wondered if I'd like to get together with him and his wife.

At first I agreed. But when it came out that he still drank once in a while, I declined his invitation. I think it hurt his feelings because we'd been friends for some time. And I haven't heard from him since.

A commitment I made when I got sober was to not do things that might jeopardize my recovery.

That means I don't hang out in nightclubs or bars. I don't attend events where drinking is the main activity. I can be around social drinkers when necessary, like at a wedding or fund-raising banquet.

Even when my son relapsed a few years on alcohol and heroin I stayed clear of him for the two years he was using.

Rigid? Dogmatic? Yes, because my sobriety set me free.

And I never want to jeopardize that freedom.