Thursday, April 23, 2015

Failing the Test

Over the years we've done hundreds of substance abuse evaluations of those who've failed drug tests. Some were pre-employment tests. The rest were random tests of a company's employees.

Probably 98% were doing safety sensitive work. Maybe for the railroads. The airlines. Or in the trucking industry. Usually they involve some aspect of transportation or support services.

The interesting thing is that nearly every one of these clients didn't know how the drugs got into their systems. It's a mystery. Very few admitted making a bad decision.

The number one excuse is that they were at a party and someone slipped something in their drink. Or they were at dinner and the hostess served pot brownies. A few were with women who were using cocaine and somehow it got into their system. Others were around a pot smoker and accidently inhaled.

What I wonder though is why these kind of accidents never happened to me in my using days. I used to always look for a way to get high at someone else's expense.

But in 42 years of drinking and drugging I can't recall a time where someone slipped something into my drink. Or a time where I accidentally got high by being around someone who was using.

Maybe I'm behind times.  Or else people are becoming more generous with their drugs.

Click here to email John