Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Drug Dreams

Once in a while I have dreams that remind me of who I am: an addict. Oh, they don't happen often. Maybe once every few years.

But it kind of surprises me that I still have these dreams. Especially after having been clean for 24 years.

And there's never anything going on in my life that seems to precipitate them. In fact, when I had this dream I was on a relaxing three day vacation in Rocky Point. Just enjoying life in a condo with a view of the Sea of Cortez. But then I awaken with a smudgy memory of using heroin with some people I don't even know. Then I'm relieved when I realize it was just a bad dream.

It wasn't a big enough deal to me to want to talk to my sponsor about it.

But it did make me recognize that embedded deep in my subconscious, in the mix of old memories, there still lurks an addict.

And that's why it's important for me to never forget where I come from. And to use the tools I've learned in the 12 step programs as insurance that I'll never return to those dark days.