Saturday, September 3, 2016

Enjoy the Journey

The only thing we can count on in life is that things are constantly changing. I used to hear that saying and blow it off - like it didn't apply to me.

But on my way home from my annual physical checkup today - I realized that there are some eternal truths. And that is one of them.

I  remember that 40 years ago, on my 37th birthday while serving a drug term on a California honor farm, I celebrated by taking a 15 mile run. And thought nothing of it.

But then six or so years ago I developed neuropathy in both feet and since then have had to wear braces and have some problems with balance. Fortunately, while I can no longer run, I can ride a bike, an elliptical, use a treadmill, or swim.

Also, I found out recently that I'll have cataract removal surgery to clear up my vision.

A large blessing in my life is that I've been able to afford excellent medical care. And I'm one of those who follows my doctor's advice.

The point of all this is that I've changed radically over the years. Going from someone who was always drunk and didn't believe in change, to someone who's been sober over 25 years.

And instead of fighting change I've developed the humility to accept that someday all of us will be part of the dust that blows across our our deserts.

My message is to live a life of quality and service and enjoy each step we take on this planet - especially the changes.